Monday 24 September 2012

Blingage!

If friends could be classed as jewels, then diamonds were certainly the friends who I attempted to collect at school aged fourteen. The "friends"with whom I adorned myself were those cool, distant and dazzling ice-cold blondes with beauty and brains, so sharp they could cut like a knife. However, they may have been all things bright and beautiful but I had, unfortunately, not left the carbon state and in that state of development I was to remain - smudgy, stubby and crude. I was a diamond in the rough. Well, to be frank, I wasn't even diamonte - just sort of coal with out the potential to light. I soon learnt that carats are not the sustenance that feeds the soul and good old bling - or carrots - slightly orange (if from Essex), bit knobbly, sometimes pretty but always individual are earthy and keep you safe,especially at night when ones eyes are fading through lack of sleep or too much of the amber nectar! So now, my friends are more costume jewellery - artistic, funny, outrageous and tacky but long-lasting and affordable.
Try explaining that to one of your sons whose heart has just been severed by a diamond!  Apparently, she was stunning and classy. Apparently, she was intelligent and pedigree. This jewel did not come under my "loupe". I was not afforded the pleasure of weighing her suitability and worth. Still this diamond has cut. A hard lesson to learn for a mere male  mortal. So, "bling" may have become a dirty word; may have been sent to the realms of "tacky" but if it shines, makes you smile and is long-lasting, embrace and face my son - that "blingage" will always be the jewel you can rely on to suit every occasion, if well chosen!

No comments:

Post a Comment