Wednesday 18 July 2012

Shout Out at the O.K Corral


Just sometimes, once in a blue moon, when they notice my eager face imploring them to communicate, we sit together and talk at the kitchen table.  Well, I talk and the three eldest boys, whilst shovelling food relentlessly into their mouths in a raw bid to escape, "ping" (complete anomaly to me).  Apparently the London riots were a national "ping" according to my eldest.
 Anyway, tonight "pinging" was banned.  So, as an "in the moment" and "up with the yoof " kinda mum, I announce that we should discuss social networking.  I was egging to have my lecture on the dangers of cyber-bullying, stalking and trolling.  Silence was broken by my youngest saying: "Is that the troll from under the bridge with the goats?"
This question was swiftly followed by one of my twins grunting: "Oh… My… God… see, why do you have to be so odd?"  Whether that was directed at his younger sibling or me, I'm still non the wiser but I decided a different approach was needed.
 "Right, Caitlin Moran. She is one of my all-time favourites on Twitter - hysterically funny and sharp. Would you like to know about her?"
Silence. "No", says the eldest.  At 15 he is unimpressionable and righteous.
 "Oh, come on, humour me, " I plead.
 "Why?" says the other twin. Now this utterance is a mountain as for at least two years he has been under an oath of silence.  So, eager to engage him, I pull my heroine up on google.
 "See, working mum who is published and hysterically funny.  I was thinking of growing out my hair dye as I'm sure I could become a Caitlin lookie-likey if all else fails."
 " Holy crap, no!  Why would you do that?" not a question but a statement fired from my 15 year old's lips as he peered at Caitlin's website.
The next ten minutes became a torrent of sanctimonious outbursts from said "I am fifteen going on sixty" son.  Now, not to offend Ms Moran too much, apparently we are twins - which again according to him, is not a good thing!  Needless to say, he believes that journalism has hit an all-time low if a cross between a character from a Tim Burton film and his mother cannot even pronounce her name correctly; believes women find Aslan sexy (he's a friggin lion!) and talks about being a marijuana addict. "How does she come close to being funny?"
With a sneer and a shrug, he heaved his 6ft rugby bulk from the table and shook his head "Nice one, Mum.  Another woman just like you who wants to be a freak on purpose!".
 Well, you try to talk and educate your children and it comes right back to bite you.  I give up!  Some shoot-outs you just can't win

3 comments:

  1. Ah the ever witty words of the great Caitlin Moran- gotta love her, not really what 15 yr old boys like to read though... I am pretty sure!Blog is looking good, well done!
    And while we're on the subject of cowboy quotes here's one for you...Speak your mind, but ride a fast horse.A great motto to live by I reckon. xx P xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. gotta love you ms osk oly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this lasts - it's good. Kids know everything these days....I get it from my niece. One (pretty pedantic) point - John Wayne never said that. Nor did he say the correct misquote "get off your horse and drink your milk". Not in any film he ever made. Although some comedic impressionists used the line in their acts. Otherwise cool! I'm working on a book, but might try a bit of it out in blog form to test the water x

    ReplyDelete